Helping our patients maintain a healthy, radiant smile is our main goal at Aliso Park Dental. Practicing good dental health habits at home plays a significant role in achieving that goal. Eating a balanced diet and practicing good oral hygiene can not only help you maintain a beautiful smile, it can help reduce your chances of suffering from periodontal disease and other, potentially painful and expensive dental issues down the road.
Maintaining Dental Health at Home
There are numerous things you can do at home to help ensure you maintain good dental health. Below are some helpful home care dental tips to follow.
- Choose dental products that have the American Dental Association seal (ADA). These products are approved to help you maintain healthy teeth and gums.
- Consume a balanced diet and try to reduce sugar intake.
- Brush your teeth properly.
- Use dental floss daily.
- Consider using a powered toothbrush that has a rotating and oscillating action.
Dental Tips: Tooth brushing
Brushing your teeth regularly can be a significant step towards achieving good dental health. Here are a few tips to help ensure that you are brushing your teeth in the most effective way possible.
- While it is recommended that you brush your teeth a minimum of two times per day, brushing after every meal is even more effective.
- Brush for at least three minutes.
- Use a soft bristled toothbrush, and consider using an electric toothbrush for maximum effectiveness.
- Replace your toothbrush approximately every 3 to 4 months.
- Use toothpaste that contains fluoride.
- Place your toothbrush at a 45 degree angle where your gums and teeth meet.
- Be sure to brush all surfaces of your teeth.
- Don’t forget to brush the entire inside of your mouth including your tongue, inner cheeks and gums.
Dental Tips: Daily Flossing
Dental Floss can reach places that the typical toothbrush cannot. Daily flossing is essential to clean between teeth and under the gum line to help prevent plaque build-up. Ensure that you are flossing in the most effective manner possible by following these tips.
1. If using the “finger-wrap” method, take approximately 18-20 inches of floss and wrap each end around 2 different fingers until your hands are about 3 inches apart. Gently place the floss between your teeth and wrap it around the tooth. Now work it under your gum line and firmly move it up and down to scrape off any plaque.
2. Plastic flossing tools are often more convenient than traditional flossing and can be an easier option for children.
3. Consider using electric interdental cleaning devices. These devices are specifically designed to clean between your teeth and can be as effective as traditional floss.
Practicing good oral hygiene, eating a balanced diet and seeing your dentist regularly can help you maintain a radiant, healthy smile for years to come.
Dental Tips: Mouth Rinsing
It is important to rinse your mouth with water after brushing, and also after meals if you are unable to brush. If you are using an over-the-counter product for rinsing, it’s a good idea to consult with your dentist or dental hygienist on its appropriateness for you.
Use other dental aids as recommended by your dentist or dental hygienist: Interdental brushes, rubber tip stimulators, tongue cleaners, irrigation devices, fluoride, medicated rinses, etc., can all play a role in good dental home care.